Jackie writes:
> I'd like to get

>things a little more organized
---------
This seems to be important for many of us - how do manage LOTs of
machines' licenses.  The management piece ought to integrate into other
management pieces, or at least be intuitive. In the best of worlds, you
set it once, and let it run itself.  The Sophos tool looked fairly
intuitive, but it might be better if it tied to AD somehow, ala SMS,
perhaps.

NAI's Virex has an administrative tool for pre-OSX machines that pushes
updates out.  Sadly, I've not found one yet that does that for OSX.  But
the machines can be set to do an autoE-Update. We just needed to decide
whether to have them all check via the 'net, or to check a server locally.
 Right now we have so few OSX machines that it's not an issue.  It
certainly will become more so as we migrate the rest of our OS9 machines
to OSX.

The other concern is the cost. Obviously keeping that low is important.
FWIW, we bought McAffee's "Perpetual" license, so that the only thing we
need to do is consider maintenance and/or support fees. This year we
dropped to email support only, which is sufficient thus far.  The Sophos
price is pretty darn good, but I've been burned too many times with
"Lifetime Free support" turning to paid support - that I'm wary of giving
that too much credence.

My two cents' worth,

Steve Scarbrough, Technology Coordinator
Storm Lake Community School District