I have the building principals collect the teacher laptops in the summer at checkout--and then have those done in a 2 week period or thereabouts so they can have them back to work with. This year I also collected them overnight/over the weekend and ran updates during December. Student computers I do over the summer while cleaning . . . if I get to it during the year it gets done, otherwise it just happens in the summer.