Our teachers do not have admin rights (well, most don't). I'm not sure if it's the fact we have been able to update machines in a reasonable time, or if it's the fact they do not have admin rights (I don't have a controlled variable there)--but have had MUCH fewer problems since not allowing them to be administrators. <not that I have many, because, after all, we mostly have Macs LOL>

They do have access to all applications installed on their computers. This includes adding printers. I also allow them access to things like the ability to change their desktop background, energy saver settings, etc. (skinny rabbit in my mind . . . plus it gives them some freedom with "their" computer). When I do get a request, I install the programs they need. Same filtering as students.

I think there is something to be said for some lock down/"control" (for lack of a better term)--as a subtle reminder these are school issued computers --not personal computers. (although there is some personalization to put your kid's picture as the background on the desktop).
FWIW