From: "Jim Kerns" <jke...@spencer.k12.ia.us>
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:30 PM
To: info-tech@aea8.k12.ia.us
Subject: re: [info-tech] Wireless mobie lab

What are your thoughts on the Xirrus in comparison to other wireless solutions?
 We just did a site survey at the HS here and are thinking about putting Xirrus
in place of the mess we have now.  They really seem to be powerful AP's with
alot of extra functionality.  What are your thoughts?

Jim Kerns, Technology Director
Spencer Community Schools
23 East 7th St
P.O. Box 200
Spencer, Iowa 51301
jke...@spencer.k12.ia.us
712.262.0339
FAX 712.262.1116

>>> "Paul Heyer"  4/8/2009 3:05 PM >>>
We have 28 laptops on carts that gets used in our elementary and middle school.
We have installed 4 Xirrus arrays in the buildings so we can connect wireless
anywhere but the custodian room in the basement. We do use the laptop for
testing with the students and have not had a connection problem.

We leased the laptops for 3 years  and are currently in the 2nd year. When we
leased we moved to a larger battery so the laptops can run all day without
having to be plugged in. Our carts also get abused some...laptops not plugged
in, cords hanging out and laptops not put away. We do have teachers scheduled
(supposedly) to check the carts every nite...but it doesnt alway happen. W

Paul (Wally) Heyer
Technology Coordinator
Titonka CSD
www.titonka.k12.ia.us