<soapbox>

As with any school initiative especially a 1:1, you would never want to go
into it without proper investigation.  It may be that the iPad is a
perfect fit for some schools in a 1:1 it may never be a fit in any matter
at other schools.

Apple has a long standing tradition of combining all the necessary tools
to integrate technology into the schools, but you pay a premium price for
their equipment.

I do not want to get into a platform war, but I personally will probably
get a couple of iPads and see how they work and what they can really do.

More apps will come, and the product will go through a ton of revisions,
but I still use my gen 1 iPod Touch and I know many people still use there
Gen 1 2 and 3 iPods.  It is all about what works in your district, how it
is implemented and of course supported.

</soapbox>