Hi Brynn,

Am 20.06.2015 um 20:50 schrieb Brynn:
> Hi Maren (and whoever else might be interested),
>        For the new faq item pointing to the roadmap, I'm thinking in the
> first section ....
>        Did you already do this?  Or was it already done, and I didn't
> realize it?  That's why it's showing unpublished? (banging head smiley
> again!)  Ok if I add the caution about the flexibility of the roadmap?

- Right, it's already in the FAQ:
https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq/#Will_there_be_an_Inkscape_1.00?_What_would_it_be_like?

Yes, please add the note about possible changes / not taking that by the
letter there.

>        Re the list of wiki articles that I thought needed to be added to
> documentation, that are currently linked from the faq.  Ok, so attached
> is a new document I started, with these faq items at the top, and we can
> add below as we work through the wiki.

- Nice :)

>        Briefly, it sounds like we agree that #1 and #2 would be good to
> be documented.  #3 and #4 are no longer applicable (the faq items which
> linked to them aren't there anymore -- I think there was some last
> minute editing, or otherwise sometime since I wrote that list, that
> those items were either dropped or changed, and the info isn't needed).

> However, I think it would be awesome to have instructions for compiling,
> for all 3 supported systems!

- Yes :) But those instructions (esp. the necessary libraries you need
to install before you compile) change rapidly (relative to Inkscape-time
units :)).
I don't know if it is possible to make them so generic as to keep them
current for as long as possible.

Is compiling a user topic? Or is this developer realm? For me, it's a
bit in a grey zone in between, but more on the dev side. Testers would
need that. Or people who want to offer Inkscape for download.

For the normal users, pre-release versions are available for download
for previewing when a new release is nearing, and daily builds for
Ubuntu are available all the time, too. I think ~suv is creating OS X
builds regularly.

Compiling on Linux/Debian-based systems is quite generic and easy, and
there's a (mostly, don't know about dependencies) current version on the
Wiki: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CompilingUbuntu

For Windows, the last update by TheAdib is from last summer:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Creating_Inkscape_distributions#Creating_a_Windows_Distro

For OS X, there's a clearly outdated guide:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CompilingMacOsX

Oh, oops - I just found that the info *is* already on the website:
https://inkscape.org/en/develop/getting-started/
(could probably profit from an update, though)

You could add that to the to-do list, to a new 'Website' section, as
'needs update'....
Just like these:
https://inkscape.org/en/contribute/testing/,
https://inkscape.org/en/develop/debugging/ (that last one might just
need a quick glance by someone who knows how it works, could still be
current)

Yesterday, our translators already complained about outdated/unfinished
pages... I couldn't help much with that, unfortunately, besides asking
them to concentrate on the other pages... Argh...

The devs I had asked - various over time - all forgot about reviewing
the page / had other priorities in the end, and I don't want to ask
repeatedly... It's not my job to annoy people...

>        #5 is the Illustrator info.  When I first started with Inkscape,
> there was some demand for this info.  I used to see messages in forums
> from Illustrator users wishing to switch over -- at least enough
> messages to warrant the article or chapter in the manual.  I haven't
> seen a message like that for probably.....2 or 3 years.  I'm not sure
> why.  It seems to me that the info should still be relevant (current
> info, I mean, current to both programs).
>        But let's not get too hung up on how to accomplish this stuff.
> Let's just make the list for Step 1.  And maybe by the time we're done,
> we'll be getting some ideas about Step 2.  How does that sound?

- Reasonable, smart and good :)

>        Shortly after I send this, I'll add the list of 10 or 15 pages
> from the list I told you I had started (separate from the 1 for the
> faq), and we can discuss whenever we have time.  Does that sound ok?

- Yep.

Thank you, Brynn!

Kind regards,
 Maren