In your previous mail you wrote:

   Frankly, I find all this new-found privacy concern to be misplaced,

=> it is not new found, I raised the same issue at least at the last
two IETF meetings. And BTW it is not really a technical issue, it
is a legal one in many countries (I'd like to believe most at the
exception of USA) and as usual with many legal issues we can expect
not very rational arguments from the outside... (cf the embedded MAC
address for IPv6).

To summary I am afraid of the perception of this from the outside,
and I argue the IETF *must not* endorse the document (i.e., publish
it with a draft-ietf-* name) with the privacy considerations in
the current state.

   Statements like "this is bad for privacy" are not technical;

=> unfortunately this is a wish, not an argument, as the real issue
is legal and not technical from the beginning as you should get
from the issue history.

   statements like yours which talk about a persistent identifier
   are technical, and helpful in framing the problems and how
   HOST_ID does not make the problem any worse than today's
   publicly-routable IPv4 addresses and tomorrow's publicly-
   routable IPv6 addresses.

=> in fact the end of your statement is not fun at all: as far as
I know there is a legal lobby in Germany arguing publicly-routable
IPv6 addresses is a threat against privacy...
I repeat this again: ignoring this kind of problems is *not* the right
way to get rid of them.

Regards

francis.dup...@fdupont.fr