In your previous mail you wrote:

   This claim requires an adequate operationalization of "privacy".  What
   exactly does one mean by this?  Most of the claims I hear about it,
   including a number of the windy assertions that there is a fundamental
   right (whatever that is) to it, seem never to state what exactly it is
   supposed to mean.

=> it is in the European Convention on Human Rights as a legal
principle so there is at least a basis but I am afraid it won't really
help. As a (French) lawyer explained to me one day, a legal text must be
as less accurate as possible so it can be applied to more than one
particular case so a legal principle...

   None of this is to say it is impossible to add what you suggest.  But
   it needs something more than to say "privacy" over and over again: to
   begin with, how is one supposed to have any clue what features might
   have privacy implications if one simply doesn't know what "privacy"
   means?

=> it is clearly a job for the IAB and fortunately this seems to have
been well understood (cf draft-iab-privacy-considerations)

   To lean on your analogy a little, security discussions often exhibit
   the sorts of problems I'm talking about here, too.  That is nowise an
   argument that we don't need the sort of operational definition I'm
   talking about.  On the contrary, many of the nastier security
   discussions I've ever seen boil down to a disagreement about the
   boundaries of the term "security".

=> I am sure it is easy to find some examples where a particular point
is viewed in favor or against the security according to different people.
And we can expect some trade-offs between security and privacy too...

Regards

francis.dup...@fdupont.fr

PS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Convention_on_Human_Rights
(see the article 8 about privacy).