This article
(http://learning.nil.com/assets/Tips-/The-Never-Ending-Story-of-IP-Fragmentation.pdf)
 may be useful for you to understand why network capability is a key factor to
be considered for fragmentation and reassembly on routers (here routers are not
software routers or CPU-only routers which were dominant in the old time). Of
course, you could also have a look at the current fragmentation and reassembly
implementations of major router vendors if you believed that article is a
little bit old.

Xiaohu