I think I detest fragmentation, or rather re-assembly, as much as anybody,
whether designing hardware or software solutions. And of course, in a closely
managed environment, you can ensure that the outer MTU is sufficient to contain
the inner MTU. That isn't the point. The point is that designing a protocol
proposed as a general-purpose protocol for the Internet, that might be used
for a hundred years, we can't guarantee that it will always be deployed in such
a managed environment. In fact, we can pretty much guarantee that it will be
used in completely unmanaged (or badly managed) ways.

This isn't theory. We've seen it a lot where IPv6 has been tunneled across
IPv4 islands, with lots of MTU and fragmentation failures. That's even simpler
than IP in UDP in IP.

Regards
   Brian