On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:09 PM, Xuxiaohu <xuxia...@huawei.com> wrote:

> [...]
It's header compression. Consider a scenario that GUE is tunneling
IPv6 and IPv4 and will do GUE fragmentation if necessary on tunnel
ingress.  So some packets will have a fragmentation option and some
won't. For unfragmented packets with no GUE options, they can be sent
in direct encapsulation of IP. This could be done as version 1 of GUE
or in IP-in-UDP as you're suggesting. The problem with the latter is
that it doubles the number of flows in the network. So instead of
punching one hole for a tunnel in a firewall we need two (the fragment
tunnel and non-fragment UDP ports). Packets in individual flows now
can take different paths depending on whether they're fragmented so
this introduces OOO.

Tom