It seems to be that what we're looking for is a simple wrapper around sysvshm
or shmop (we want win32 support?) that would create $_APP superglobal and
store data within that superglobal. The only issue would be that shm segment
cannot be easily resized and on many systems there is an upper limit on the
shm segment size. Which means you'd probably need to use a file backed shm
implementation such as anonymous mmap. This however means that you cannot use
shmop or sysvshm, however something like mmcache previously mentioned should
be a fine solution. All you'd need to do is make a wrapper around $_SESSION.

Ilia