On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 15:55, Paul M. Jones <pmjo...@pmjones.io> wrote:

> > Why not hope that ReactPHP and others will want to use this object,
> > precisely because it avoids them having to roll their own implementations
> > of things?
>
> Like I said earlier: if React ends up wanting to use ext/request, with its
> tradeoffs, of course I would think that's great. But if they want to keep
> using what they have already, with its own tradeoffs, that's great too.

This is one place our attitudes differ: if I was proposing something like
this to be included in every copy of PHP, I'd actively want people to use
it, and consider that a measure of success; you seem to be happy to just
put it out there and see. As such, I perhaps place greater value on
functionality that would make it more attractive, and less value on
matching what we already have.

> This is very similar to what I'm saying: to use your phrasing, I opine it
> is better to "trivially wrap" the existing PHP functionality as part of a
> separate RFC, rather than try to embed it in ServerRequest (exposed or
> otherwise).

That's not really the same, no. I am saying that once you have the parsing
functionality somewhere in userland, whether it's inside ServerRequest or
its own function doesn't matter, you could still use it to delete 300+
lines of code from ReactPHP.

That's a reason to add it *as soon as possible*, even if in an ideal world
it would be implemented in a slightly different place, or two different
places, or whatever.

Regards,
--
Rowan Tommins