On 04/03/2020 20:01, Paul M. Jones wrote:
This RFC, in contrast, does not attempt to model HTTP messages. It does not
attempt to discard previous ways of working. Instead, it proposes a more
object-oriented representation of functionality that already exists in PHP,
honoring that previously-existing approach. There is quite a bit of real-world
experience as to how well it will work, since it takes into account many
commonalities between existing userland projects. Thus, what the RFC purports
to get close to is that existing way-of-working, and I think it succeeds about
as well as can be possible for its goals.

This is something you have said a few times, and is definitely a worthy goal, but it's not something that comes across very strongly in the RFC itself. There is a comparison to Symfony HttpFoundation, but it mentions as many differences as similarities; and there is a list of 13 other implementations, but no information on how this proposal compares to them.

I suspect that's just because you didn't want to burden the RFC with too many details, but if you have any notes about what functionality is common in existing libraries, perhaps that could be posted somewhere as a kind of appendix to show where the current design came from?

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins (né Collins)
[IMSoP]