On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 2:12 PM Bob Weinand <bobw...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Mixed is in almost every case just patching the holes in PHPs type system.
> And as such, I'd rather promote RFCs trying to properly fix the gaps in the
> type system than supporting mixed.
>
> Mixed is a hack, do not use mixed.

Heya Bob,

I maintain lots of legacy code and I cannot add return types despite being
truly mixed. Mixed is not a hack, it's a scenario that frequently happens.
There are lots of use-cases where we explicitly want to mark it as such as
it truly accepts anything. Would I use it in new code? Pretty much never,
as `string|int` would already cover the majority of cases, especially where
ints are represented by strings.

I would love to see mixed being added as it lets me remove a lot of
docblocks that are only added so I can indicate mixed. I disagree that it's
patching holes, it's filling a gap that's currently missing something.

Regards,
Lynn