Hey Dan,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020, 13:18 Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:

> Hi Internals,
>
> Here is an RFC for adding a 'mixed' type to the language:
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/mixed_type_v2
> The RFC builds on an earlier draft by Michael Moravec.
>
> Part of the motivation for pursuing this RFC was my recent experience
> in upgrading an application to PHP 7.4.
>
> Being able to add types to the application made the code much easier
> to reason about, but there were places where I couldn't add type info
> due to the lack of mixed. That made it hard to see if that piece of
> code had been upgraded (but type info couldn't be added), or if that
> code still needed to be upgraded.

How much would you like/be adverse to a rector rule that changes `mixed`
into a long union type (without `resource` in it)?

Considering above posts, `mixed` is effectively
`null|bool|string|int|float|array|object`, and that the language has the
ability to use this type in 8.0, I think making `mixed` very painful to
write may be a big advantage.

`resource` is still a massive PITA: not sure if it can be removed within
the decade.

Heck, we may even deprecate signature-less parameters and return types in a
very far future 💪