Greetings PHP internals,

Kalle Sommer Nielsen and myself are proposing to rename the
T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM
token into the already existing T_DOUBLE_COLON alias,
T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM would then become an alias to T_DOUBLE_COLON.

The RFC is located here: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/rename-double-colon-token

Although this token is a nod to the valuable contributions made by the
Isrealie community we believe this token is rather confusing for newcomers.
Moreso, as PHP is for many people their first programming language,
they may not have some of the habits like googling errors when
they are stuck, which leads to a frustrating experience.

As we believe PHP still has many years of existence we think it is time
to rename this token.

This is backwards compatible with PHP 7 and 5.
This RFC does not lay out a plan for deprecating T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM
and leaves this as a future scope.

As the matter on hand is a relatively straight forward yes/no vote we expect
it to be held after the minimum 2 week discussion period.

Best regards

George Peter Banyard