Hi Mikhail,

> >Basically, we have quite a high-loaded environment and we really want
> >to see timestamps containing milli-/microseconds in our logs.
>
> I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on the implementation details, but
> from a user point of view I agree the feature would be useful. It would
> definitely need to be behind an ini setting, though, to avoid existing log
> parsers failing unexpectedly on the new format.

I agree that I'd want this functionality available.

I found https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3164.txt for syslogs which allows 1-6
digits after `.`. (haven't checked for any followup rfcs or how widely they are
supported)

https://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime appears to document a useful subset of the
iso 8601 functionality for anything documented as accepting iso 8601 dates,
which allows microseconds

> s    = one or more digits representing a decimal fraction of a second

Does anyone know of commonly used tools for syslogs where the recent releases
work with milliseconds but not microseconds (I'd hope not, since syslog has
been around for decades, but it'd be useful to know)? PHP's fast so I'd agree
microseconds would be useful to have, e.g. I've wanted this when debugging the
order of db/cache calls or other operations in a web app

E.g.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Date/toISOString
 (JavaScript dates and Date.now are in milliseconds)

> The toISOString() method returns a string in simplified extended ISO format
> (ISO 8601), which is always 24 or 27 characters long
> (YYYY-MM-DDTHH:mm:ss.sssZ or ±YYYYYY-MM-DDTHH:mm:ss.sssZ, respectively).

I'd agree I'd want an ini setting, e.g. for non-technical users that wanted to
upgrade to the next php minor version
without researching how to change their ad-hoc or external syslog parsers
(e.g. when logs are parsed using regex to extract the date and following fields)

An example: syslogs can be sent over the network to various services, e.g.,
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/plugins-inputs-syslog.html#plugins-inputs-syslog-grok_pattern

Thanks,
Tyson