Here are my 2 cents:

The "dangerous" part of PHP upgrades is when you have more than one
server and since you can't migrate a distributed system atomically, it
often means that for a period of time, your code needs to support
multiple versions (and you probably *always* have to do this for
libraries). Personally, I've been bitten by small, undocumented, BC
breaks that get marked 'wontfix' once reported, because fixing it
after a release is considered a BC break. All I can do is facepalm
while I update the code to handle different versions of PHP.

I freakin love PHP, so I'm not going anywhere, but it would be amazing
if core devs contributed to Rector (or something like it) that allowed
you to run a simple tool to upgrade your code from "8.2 compatible"
code to "8.2 + 8.3 compatible code" and then to "8.3-only compatible"
code. The community does its best, but the core devs working on it
know about the undocumented bits and probably the most efficient
implementation. For all I know, you all are already doing this, and if
so, you should tell the world.

Cheers,

Rob