> There could be OOP-style alternatives too, e.g. Rust has a PathBuf struct
> with methods that are used to build paths.
> However if we were to choose this route then we need to be aware that
> interoperability with existing filesystem functions would be much harder
> because they all work directly with strings at the moment.

I think we really could use such an API. I would have liked a more
OOP-style approach, because it can impactfully "consolidate" various
functions into one.
I really like NodeJS Path class (https://nodejs.org/api/path.html),
which I think have done a really nice job at making it simple while
being quite versatile even for remote system paths.

In PHP land, the now-abandoned path-util
(https://packagist.org/packages/webmozart/path-util) library also had
an intuitive API.