I'm in favor for this. I think that, since you already have a built-in file
API, adding useful functions is always good. I use *\str_starts_with* and
*\str_ends_with* a lot in my code. In Laravel, which is the most used
Framework these days, you have the \Illuminate\Supports\Str::startsWith and
\Illuminate\Supports\Str::endsWith, but it did stop the implementation of
those functions in the core and I'm glad for it.

Best regards,
Erick