On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 at 09:29, Alexander Pravdin <alex.prav...@interi.co>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 6:11 PM Robert Landers <landers.rob...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I just ran `apt install php8.3-decimal` and tried this:
> >
> > $a = new Decimal\Decimal("1", 2);
> > $b = $a + $a;
> > PHP Warning:  Uncaught TypeError: Unsupported operand types:
> > Decimal\Decimal + Decimal\Decimal in
> >
> > So, it appears not.
> >

> I've pointed out this issue earlier in the discussion and Gina P. Banyard
> has replied that this can be a PHP 8.3 bug and he will look into it.
>
> BTW, my main concern is that this amazing extension doesn't look like it is
> actively maintained and I'm worrying if I will be able to maintain my
> projects that depend on it in the future.

Hot take, why not fund the maintainer (or someone else to fork and pick up
the work) to work on this extension?
It is not like most bundled extension within php-src are truly actively
maintained.
So why would integrating ext/decimal mean it will be maintained?
Just have a look at all the XML/DOM related extensions that were riddled
with bugs and unmaintained until Nils decided to pick up the work to
scratch an itch.

Moreover, being separate from "core" is frankly a benefit, and I very much
dislike the current status of having so many bundled extensions that cannot
improve at their own pace.
Having extensions not be tied to php-src's release cycle means they can
move more quickly, fix bugs faster, evolve more easily, etc.
Just look at ext/curl, being stuck at a certain level of support for
libcurl because it *must* be tied to the annual PHP release cycle.

Best regards,

Gina P. Banyard

PS: My pronouns are she/her