On Sat, Mar 9, 2024, at 1:04 PM, Bruce Weirdan wrote:
> Hi Jim
>
> On Sat, Mar 9, 2024, 20:46 Jim Winstead <j...@trainedmonkey.com> wrote:
>> If the adherence to semantic versioning is meant to be strict,
>
> PHP doesn't follow semver and never had.

Okay, strike that and replace it with "adherence to the documented release
process" which says that backward compatibility can only be broken in a release
where the first digit in the version number is incremented.

https://github.com/php/policies/blob/main/release-process.rst

Which leaves my point intact, which is that voting which version to put
backwards-incompatible changes in is a weird way to conform to the release
process.

It's been over three years since 8.0 was released, how long until any
backwards-incompatible changes are going to intentionally make it into another
release?

Thanks.

Jim