> Le 21 mai 2024 à 21:00, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <mweierophin...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>> (But again, I prefer that all those methods work on instances, as it was the
>> case before PHP 8. They shouldn’t have been switched to
>> static-but-broken-for-subclasses without discussion.)
>
> Fixing the existing ones would be a potential BC break, depending on whether
> or not instance usage is completely eliminated.

Yes, of course. But there exist options that don’t make the API even more
inconsistent than it already is. I hereby propose:

* `XMLReader::fromUrl()` as replacement for `(new XMLReader)->open()`
* `XMLReader::fromString()` as replacement for `(new XMLReader)->xml()`

… which would make me happy. (The old, inconsistently-named,
instance-and-semi-broken-static methods could be kept for BC and marked as
soft-deprecated in the manual.)

—Claude