On Mon, Jun 3, 2024 at 9:46 AM Ilija Tovilo <tovilo.il...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Matthew
>
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2024 at 3:15 PM Matthew Weier O'Phinney
> <mweierophin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, May 22, 2024 at 2:24 AM Benjamin Außenhofer <kont...@beberlei.de>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> The vote for the RFC #[\Deprecated] attribute is now open:
> >>
> >> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/deprecated_attribute
> >>
> >> Voting will close on Wednesday 5th June, 08:00 GMT.
> >
> > I have voted no for a few reasons:
> >
> > - Ideally, I'd like to be able to mark _anything_ as deprecated. In
> particular, not being able to mark a _class/interface/enum/etc_ as
> deprecated makes this far less useful.
>
> While it's true that extending #[Deprecated] to classes would be
> useful, deprecation already exists as a language concept, and it can
> be extended to class-like structures without a BC break.

Right, but I'd rather have the ability to have it _now_. It's far less
often the case that I'm deprecating a single method or constant, and more
often the case that I'm deprecating a class or interface. Not having
support for those immediately makes the feature  "meh" for me.

> > - The "since" parameter is basically worthless to me. It's very easy to
> find out the last version that wasn't deprecated. What would be far more
> useful to a consumer is an argument indicating when something will be
> removed (e.g. $toRemoveInVersion, $versionForRemoval, etc.). This helps me
> as a user plan for the future.
>
> Did you vote yes in the secondary vote by accident? I voted no on the
> $since parameter for the same reason:
>
> * "How long have I not fixed this?" is not a particularly useful
> question to ask. "When do I have to fix this?" is more relevant.
> * The format of $since is intentionally left unstandardized, and it's
> unclear (to me?) what it refers to. For example, some packages are
> split into multiple, smaller ones (e.g. Doctrine) with diverging
> version numbers. The sub-package version number may not be useful to
> the end-user, who never requires it directly. Similarly, referencing
> the main package version may be confusing, especially if the ranges of
> recent main and sub-package versions overlap.

I voted yes on it because it's not _worthless_, and if the RFC passes, I'd
rather have it than not have it. But I agree that the lack of a standard
format for it, and the lack of a parallel "will remove by" argument make it
far less useful.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
mweierophin...@gmail.com