On 28 June 2024 01:16:24 BST, Mike Schinkel <m...@newclarity.net> wrote:
> It may be an unpopular opinion, but I would argue that namespaces were
> optimized for autoloading and the one class/interface per file paradigm

I don't see any particular relationship between namespaces and autoloading, or
any reason we need to throw them away to introduce different conventions for

My opinions match Larry's almost exactly: I want package-level optimisation,
and package-private declarations. But I don't want to rewrite my entire
codebase to start using a completely different naming system.

Not to mention that working with a combination of existing namespaced packages
and "new shiny module" packages is going to be inevitable, so we can't just
hand-wave that away.

>1. Adding a module/package system to PHP with modern module features

I find that "modern" often just means "fashionable". Please, let's be specific.
What is different between imports and namespaces, and why is it a good thing?

What specifically stops us doing all the things you've been discussing around
packages available on Packagist, and billions of lines of existing code?

Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]