IMO {-1} syntax is not only faster but simpler to use then the equivalent substr() (for read) or $a[strlen($a) - 1] (for write). While my reasons are primarily performance based, I think that most people would find the {-1} simpler to use as well.

Ilia

Sterling Hughes wrote:
i hope not.   this should be about what's cool for developers, the
speed increase is not a compelling reason..  the debate is "does this
make code easier to read/write/maintain?"  I think it doesn't, and
therefore am against it.

-sterling