Derick Rethans wrote:
Why would we (as PHP developers) invest time in something while the
current version provides us with all we need?

Because more and more people want to run Apache 2 for different reasons?

According to your argument PHP would only need to support one single OS and Webserver because "it provides all we need".

At some point you'll have to face it: Apache 2 is becoming a popular "platform". It's obviously up to you at what point you'll consider this important enough to spend time on it but a reality check every so often is never a bad thing.

- Chris