Lukas Smith wrote:
to keep customers. This half-assed attempt at maintain BC is what is really causing major problems.

The problem would be that this new PHP would be a wild mix of all
different changes. While I wouldn't mind a shiny new PHP with
&-references removed altogether which always copies object handles (as
Mike Ford calls them) and could live with public instead of var
everywhere I wouldn't like being forced to e.g. use exceptions if the
decision would be made to use them in the standard library.

So the whole package could go down the drain because of one part of it
(which  might be a different part for individual developers). The BC
approach works around this by allowing me to ignore new features I don't
want.

Two things to consider:
1) If the PHP maintainers are getting sick of BC then it might be better
to break BC than to lose maintainers.
2) On the other hand one should not forget that the amount of PHP4 code
around is much bigger than the size of the PHP source itself. So even if
BC is abandoned you can't simply drop PHP4 altogether (as hinted at in
this thread) without causing a lot of damage.

One possibility I see would be to have PHP<x> (insert your favourite
number here) drop compatibility with PHP4  and have some maintainers
work on PHP4 bug fixes and some on PHP6 features/bugs. It's kinda unclear
what would happen to PHP5 - PHP<x-1> though its maintainers would
face the same BC+new-stuff situation we have right now which doesn't
seem to be popular.

Trying to help deciding which way to go, ignore me if you don't care ;-)
- Chris