> As to the syntax I prefer not to add a new kind of syntax ala #foo. We
> introduced declare() {} a few years ago exactly for these kind of cases.
> We
> designed it so that it'd be completely extensible and functionality like
> this could be added.

I agree that this is the type of thing that declare() was setup for, however
I think there's value in keeping the same semantics as C for this feature.
This particular feature is a little unique in that it's (A) not a BC
breaking piece of syntax (older versions just see a comment), and (B) Having
the directive skipped (as a comment) doesn't impact code flow or the
resulting output.

I'd personally rather see:
#line "foo.re" 123
style syntax, but don't see a major problem with using:
declare(file="foo.re" line=123);

Just my 2 cents;

-Sara