On 10-Nov-06, at 12:54 PM, Sebastian Bergmann wrote:

Ilia Alshanetsky wrote:
If anything it'll make code complex and intertwined, introduce serious
scope issue most people have not had to consider up until now and so
on. It will without a doubt increase language complexity as well, which
generally translates to a loss in performance.

Am I right to assume that both scoping and performance issues only come
 up if we were to implement an import() mechanism? If so, do we really
 need import?

 If not, then

   namespace foo
   {
     class bar
     {
     }
   }

 would be "mangled" at compile-time into foo\bar and should not impose
 any performance penalty or scoping issues.

As your key size increases the slower the key hash generation process becomes, if you look at the PHP's hash key generation code you'll see that it works best for 8 or less chars, anything longer and the performance starts to drop. Add to this case-sensitivity issues and you have an additional draw on your speed.

Obviously, by doing things at compile time you reduce overhead, so it is a good idea, but it will not eliminate the performance penalties, it'll probable halve them however.

Ilia Alshanetsky