> PHP 6 is not yet out and probably won't be production quality for quite
> some time. Which means that migration to it en mass is probably not
> going to happen this decade :-).
<snippitysnip/>

I'm not talking about forcing everyone to use namespaces tomorrow. I'm
trying to plan for a future where there's a sensible way to avoid symbol
collision.

As for everyone developing on PHP $release-1 until 50% market
saturation, I believe that to be the case in widely-distributed PHP apps
(such as FUDForum), but you seem to be forgetting about the large number
of PHP applications that are developed for internal use. I don't know of
anyone currently using PHP 4 to develop new PHP apps unless they're for
external distribution.

> I think there is far more
> demand for a fast & stable PHP then for syntatic sugar features which
> seem extremely useful, but in the end prove to carry too much baggage.

Nothing has been proven either way.. at least not publicly.. unless I
just missed it.