On 1/12/07, Michael B Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:40:32 -0500
Robert Cummings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 15:57 +0000, Tim Starling wrote:
> >
> > Limits, table names, and several other query parts are protected by
> > MediaWiki's query builder. A complex select query might look like this:
> >
> > $result = $db->select(
> >     # Tables
> >     array( 'user', 'revision' ),
> >     # Fields
> >     array( 'user_name', 'rev_timestamp' ),
> >     # Conditions (WHERE)
> >     array(
> >         'user_id=rev_user',
> >         'rev_page' => $page_id
> >     ),
> >     # Query tag, goes into a comment in the SQL
> >     __METHOD__,
> >     array(
> >         'LIMIT' => 10,
> >         'ORDER BY' => 'rev_timestamp DESC',
> >     )
> > );
> >
> > It even has some degree of DBMS-independence, thanks to creative
> > interpretation of the options parameter. This is what I would like to see
> > in the PHP core.
>
> Wow, that's hideous!

Agreed. That's pretty awful. What's wrong with the way Java does things?

  db->query("select user_name, rev_timestamp from user, revision " .
      "where user_id=rev_user, rev_page=? " .
      "limit 10 query by rev_timestamp desc", $page_id);

This is (partly) missing the point ("Limits, table names, and several
other query parts are protected by MediaWiki's query builder. A
complex select query might look like this:").

Regards,
Michael