I always found it strange so many projects use PHP in the name. PHPBB,
PHPArchitect, PHP-Eclipse, PHPAccelerator, PHP Nuke, PHP Kitchen...

If PHPBB/PHPnuke do not derive from code in PHP source itself, PHP group, as I understand it, can do next to nothing about it, since no distribution of materials that have copyright belonging to the PHP group is happening.

Sounds like PHP should have been trademarked so that these projects

AFAIK (not being a lawyer) defending trademark is quite bothersome - you actually *have* to go after all violators or your trademark is void. Meaning PHP Group would *have* to go after all authors of all phpWhatever which would lead to a lot of pissed off people and a lot of time wasted in stirring trouble instead of spending this time to do something useful.

couldn't legally use the acronym without the consent of the PHP group or
some other oversight group. I mean, PHPBB doesn't exactly help with the
security image of PHP :/

I don't think names are the main problem here...
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Zend Products Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.zend.com/