Hi Andi,

On 1/27/07, Andi Gutmans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
s during PHP 5 where I warned that they might introduce bugs in other
areas but it's hard to forsee. No one believed me because I couldn't
give a concrete enough example and we had quite a few of those bugs
afterwards.

Given the state of PHP5 when it was released, everyone sane should
believe (I would say trust) you, even if you were the one pushing php5
final release :)

As some point the platform has to be the one that grows and
not the language. So if we need to evolve it to have a different way of
fetching input variables that's what we should do.

Exactly my point (again :-/), it is my goal for filter. That's also
why I asked you (I still wait the answer by the way) earlier this year
what are your needs about filters and what do you mean in your post,
as you were saying that we did not do a good job.

I, and I'm the only one in the active filter maintainers, changed my
mind (more open) and I really think that we should provide a OO way to
fetch the inputs. It can be type oriented (::getInteger()), variable
oriented (::get($name), and/or both. But the needs are definitively
here and I will do my best to push that in (a cgi-like object is one
solution).

You don't see other languages change every day because of a higher level
requirement. And have no doubt, PHP 6 will take a long time to truly stabilize
and make consistent because there've been huge
changes.

I 100% agree. No matter how much efforts are pushed into its
development, I cannot imagine a first stable release in a near future,
next year at best. By stable I mean a release not marked RC and
something with at least a beta quality and not alpha like 5.0.0.
Nobody will expect 6.0.0 to be perfect, but we should not make the
same mistake again.

Regards,
--Pierre