let's make ext/pcre and ext/spl first class core components and not allow
  to disable them.

Well, theoretically I can imagine reason why somebody would like to disable them - e.g., if I need super-high-performance server and I absolutely must squeeze out every last bit of cpu/memory usage _and_ I don't do neither SPL nor regular expressions - I might want to disable it. In any case, I see the reasons why we *want* it enabled. But I'd like to hear any reasons why we *need* it enabled - i.e. any vital stuff that can't work with SPL/PCRE disabled?
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Zend Products Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.zend.com/