Please check the bugs database. There was numerous reports about this
problem and there is no solution to use an object instead of an array

I'm still not following, I tried modifying the example you gave making __get return by reference and it worked just fine. I would gladly look up the bug database, I just don't know what to look for since I still don't know what the problem is.

However, I'm not arguing about why or how this bug should be fixed but
that the only work 'round is in SPL. ArrayObject (and related) must be
in Zend, it is a core feature.

I'm not so sure. For example, I'm sure sessions are user much more than ArrayObject, but they aren't.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Zend Products Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.zend.com/