Hi Jani,

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 16:53 +0300, Jani Taskinen wrote:
> During Derick's talk about PHP 6 at PHP Vikinger, I started to wonder
> what exactly was the reasoning behind adding something like
> "unicode.semantics" option. Derick didn't remember, neither did I.

The reason was to "keep BC"

> Apparently it's another one of these "register_globals" or
> "magic_quotes_*" directives we'll remove in PHP 7? :D
>
> I mean, if PHP 6 is about unicode, why upgrade to PHP 6 and disable
it?
> Just stay with PHP 5 then..

- The ini Setting changes the behaviour of the code in a quite
  drastic way. This is even worse then magic_quotes which could
  be fixed by using some prepending file removing/adding slashes
  depending on the setting.

- The UG(unicode) checks in the code make maintenance way harder.

- This feature doesn't bring BC - there will still be enough BC
  breaks.

- I guess we're adding a few thousand UG(unicode) checks during
  each request which certainly cost a bit performance

Conclusion: Let's remove that damn setting.

johannes