My thought  about php4->php6 migration was that when php6 is out to
encourage (or more correctly said almost enforce - with the proper
announcement for EOL on the php.net) the php4 users to upgrade directly to
php6. This way the php6 adoption could be much faster than php5 one.
It will be just obvious for everybody still using php4 that he has to
upgrade - then why to upgrade to php5 while he can upgrade to php6?
So please give your opinions on this.

I dont think this is a good idea and is unlikely to happen in the real
world.

IMO we should push users to first get onto PHP5 now that its stable enough
to be used, then look at gently nudging users to PHP 6 about a year after
its be released. When PHP 6 has been out 3 years look a nudging people
running PHP 5 a little harder to migrate. Although AFAICS the unicode
implementation issues (see the unicode semantics thread) is likely to be a
key issue to get people to migrate up to PHP6 so the less painful it can be
made the better.

Regards

Marco