On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:46:52 +0100, Alain Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 11:35:30AM +0200, Marco wrote:
>> >

>> >I will venture to say that the biggest issue was; no transition period.
>>

>> I dont think the transition period is a reason for lack of migration 3
> years
>> is a pretty long time!.
I was actually referring to a transition from PHP4 to PHP5. As I originally
stated; there was not a smooth transition - PHP4 is almost nothing like PHP5.
So, what I really meant; was that the difference between the two is quite stark.
>> the biggest issue is lack of support in popular
>> applications, I can't tell you the number of time's i've spoken to  a
>> hosting company about lack of PHP5 support and their answer being, "Oh
> we
>> would love to move to PHP5 but our control panel and application X
> doesn't
>> yet support it". This from my experience is the most common response :(

See my comment on providing an install guide to accommodate parallel installs
of PHP4, PHP5, PHP6 on the same boxen. Now everyone's happy ;)
>> The other issue of course is BC breaks, although I can say in my
> experience
>> the idea of fixing these issue's was a lot worse than actually fixing
>> them... I worried about converting a 100,000 line PHP4 app for weeks,
> but in
>> reality managed to port it to PHP5 in a weekend so I spent longer
> worrying
>> more than anythig else!
I've had the same experience(s). But I've also the opposite experience -
more times than I'd care to recall. But of course, it all depends.

>> We need IMO better information on how to port PHP4 app's to PHP5
> detailing
>> area's where issue's are likely to occur so that code can be converted
>> faster.
>
> +1 --- this should be flagged up big at the top of www.php.net/manual/XX
>
> What might be nice is a patch to PHP4 that provides a bit in
> error_reporting
> that would cause warnings on stuff that might break on a move to PHP5.
With pointers to the PHP5 equivalent? Yes, That would be an excellent
approach that would surely make ppl take a closer look at PHP5.

> Someone could then switch it on and look at what is logged. I suspect that
> many people would also be pleasantly surprised that 4 -> 5 is not as hard
> as it seems.
>
>> Other than that I say roll on 8/8/08 and to PHP4 I say "So long and
> thanks
>> for all the fish"!!!
>
> --
> Alain Williams
> Linux Consultant - Mail systems, Web sites, Networking, Programmer, IT
> Lecturer.
> +44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
> Parliament Hill Computers Ltd. Registration Information:
> http://www.phcomp.co.uk/contact.php
> #include <std_disclaimer.h>
Service provided by hitOmeter.NET internet messaging!
.