On 10.07.2007 01:48, Andrei Zmievski wrote:
And I think that we shouldn't, since it removes a big incentive for people to move to PHP 6.

I don't really see much sense in forcing people to use PHP6 if we accept the "PHP5 =
PHP6 - Unicode" formula.
They are just different things, period.

Really, we need to get folks to use Unicode natively as much as possible.

Andrei, I personally don't need Unicode at all.
I know, that may sound weird, but that's true.

This kind of attitude is precisely why we've had and continue to have such an internationalization mess when it comes to building applications.

What attitude are you talking about here?

I'm trying to be honest with myself in the first place.
Do _I_ like that horrible IS_STRING/IS_UNICODE mess we have atm? No.
Do _I_ want to maintain this mess in the future just because of some bad design
decision in the past? Noway, we had enough of that already.

I would love to have clean and easy PHP6 without all the "compatibility", which
creates gazillion problems to both users and developers.
Please notice that I didn't call Unicode useless crap or whatever others may think about it, I just want PHP6 to be Unicode-only release because it would make my personal life much easier
without complicating others' lives.

--
Wbr, Antony Dovgal