On 12-Jul-07, at 4:23 AM, chris# wrote:

Wholly agreed. But I'm not sure I see a big (any) real difference here. For example there are many similarities between 1.x and 2.x - even in the conf file(s). I have little difficulty cobbling a 1.x module out of a 2.x module. PHP5 never made any guarantee that PHP4 apps/classes/whatever would run in PHP5. I don't know. Maybe I didn't phrase it right. In short; I not suggesting that
there be any /real/ change in the current/proposed/whatever "EOL";
Apache 1.3 is as stable as it's going to get.
PHP4 is as stable as it's going to get.
Apache 1.3 uncovers a security issue - Apache dev plugs it.
PHP4 uncovers a security issue - PHP dev plugs it.
Apache1.3 leads it's own life (without Apache 2.x).
PHP4 leads it's own life (without PHP5).
ppl continue to build modules for Apache 1.3 (without regard or care of Apache 2.x).
ppl continue to build and use PHP4 (without care or regard for PHP5).
Apache has a /huge/ install base.
PHP4 has a /huge/ install base.
Nobody "pitched a fit" when Apache 2 came out.
This is where I see the Apache "EOL" as it /could/ apply to PHP4.
This is how I see the parallel. So I thought it might be an easy solution
with little (or no) opposition (on either side of the fence).

There is a problem with comparing a Language that thousands of people write applications in with a web server that most people only ever configure, and that is that you are ignoring the issue of content (in this case, scripts written in PHP that need to either be compatible, or not). A better comparison might be something like Perl 4 vs Perl 5. While people may still run Perl 4 and maintain Perl 4 specific code, no-one thinks it is actually supported by anyone.

Another comparison might be the current state of Visual Basic since .Net. But these cases also do not *exactly* fit the problem of PHP 4 because in these cases you don't have the same peculiar installed base of shared web hosts using old versions of cpanel.

I'm with Marco - just make the announcement already. JeffG