On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:12:35 -0700, Jeff Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> chris# wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 19:30:26 -0500, Larry Garfield
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> The claim that is still repeated
>>> that one "has to" rewrite everything to be OO in order to port to PHP 5
>>> is,
>>> quite simply, FUD.
>
>> True. But then again, what's the point of using 5 if you're not
> inclined, or
>> have the need to write OO apps? It is simply alot of wasted language/
> space
>> and resources, as a whole. Hey! I don't need OO and I've already got
> PHP4
>> installed. Why bother with 5 at all?
>
> There are a number of nice features in PHP5 that have nothing to do with
> actually creating your own classes or extending built-ins, such as (off
> the top of my head):
>
>   - file_get_contents()
>   - simplexml / DOM parsing / libxml2
As memory serves; DOM is already available to developers whether you use
PHP or not. I seem to remember messing around with it back in the mid-90's
When JavaScript and DHTML were all the rage, and Netscape and Sun Microsystems
were touting their version of JavaScript and a bunch of DEV tools to go
along with it. Of course I am using DOM all the time now - especially since
it's readily accessible in XHTML and CSS-2.x. :)
>   - json_encode|decode
JSON may indeed be available in PHP5 but PHP5 is not a prerequisite to
using JSON at all. As a matter of fact, I'm enjoying JSON in the web
based mail reader I'm using right now - which is running of a PHP4 base
install. :)
>   - stable APC
>   - SPL
>   - PDO ( although you can get it for 4.4, you can't depend on it being
> there )
>   - backwards compatibility with lots of procedural PHP4 code =)
Just a hunch; but I can't help but wonder if more backward compatibility
had been included in 5, 5 would have been more highly favored/chosen.
Just a hunch tho.

> If you're writing an app that does a lot of json or xml parsing or
> output, *even if you don't use the class keyword anywhere in your own
> code* PHP5 is a better language than PHP4. Drupal is a great example of
> this because even though Drupal doesn't use classes, many Drupal devs
> want to use PHP5 features in Drupal core. Right Larry?
Technically speaking; I'm not sure you can call OO a feature if you're
(for what ever reason) ever inclined to use it. Point being; if you're
not using it, if can only be considered /overhead/. But I won't argue
the fact that OO can indeed be considered a feature. On that note; would
it have made any sense at all to provide OO in the form of a module? Is that
even possible? Does runkit lend itself to accomplishing this? Could something
like this be the /big/ feature /advancement/ that 6 offers - along with the
enhanced UTF support, of course. :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

> JeffG
Service provided by hitOmeter.NET internet messaging!
.