I sure hope this isn't something particularly bone-headed...

Meanwhile, what made me think that I was screwing up buildconf is
actually not related to any particular version of
automake/autoconf/libtool at all, as I get the same thing with all
combinations readily available under Gentoo, as well as using the
documented versions, so I've opened a bug report:

And, actually, as far as I can tell, having no libtool at all, for
that matter.

I forgot to symlink /usr/bin/libtool to /usr/local/bin/libtool after
installing 1.4.3 from source...

I guess libtool comes into the picture later in the process than I am
getting.

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=42041

Short version:

cvs co -r PHP_5_2

./buildconf

./configure \
--enable-fastcgi \
--enable-debug \
--with-pgsql \
--disable-xml \
--disable-libxml \
--disable-simplexml \
--disable-xmlreader \
--disable-exmlwriter \
--disable-dom \
--without-pear

make

zend_language_scanner.c: No such file or directory

Google turned up a bug from several distros allegedly fixed in
4.mumble, but the bugs.php.net ticket was closed due to no feedback,
so I'm not sure it really got fixed.

I'm hoping my report might be detailed enough to lead somebody to a
real resolution... :-)

I'm guessing that insisting on not having all the XML stuff in there
is the issue?...

Guess I'll try to install libxml tomorrow.

Or maybe I want libxml2?

I dunno.

Hopefully some sleep will clarify that one.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?