Richard Lynch wrote:

Any gurus really offended by ereg can --disable-ereg or whatever it
is, no?

So in a dream world, Rasmus would have shipped all the features of PHP 42 as his first release.

In a slightly less dreamy, but still unrealistic world, we would have infinite development resources to maintain all the BC hacks in the world.

In reality, we have limited resources, so its not about being "offended", its about yet another extension that is redundant that needs to be supported. This is the point with a lot of this. How do we set the priorities in managing the scarce resources. For the most part, this is pretty automatic: whatever people do is what we priorities, the other stuff is left for someone else to pick up if they care. Obviously it's not quite that extreme, since there are several people that are willing to do stuff they do not need (or they have a company sponsoring them), just to move PHP forward.

regards,
Lukas