I don't like the idea of having a "u" prefix for Unicode strings.  It may
improve performance, and give you some level of fine grain control, but...

- It breaks your "keep php simple" policy by introducing a lot of new
functions (ugly).
- I (plus a lot of others) have an existing php5 application which I wish to
eventually use with Unicode, and like others, I don't want to spend time
refactoring.
- It will also introduce bugs when programmers accidentally forget to add
the "u" prefix when working with unicode.

If you always want to produce Unicode, I think its best to always use a cast
or a conversion function.

Eg

$str = (unicode)(strtoupper($str));
Or
$str = unicode_val(strtoupper($str));

My 2c :)

Yeah I also like that casting better than the "u"

$0.02 :P