Derick Rethans wrote:
I sort of agree, I don't see how the current implementation is really useful for anything.

Well, for us, it would be useful for using 3rd party applications with our internally written code. We have mostly a functional (as in C not as in BASIC) environment. Recently we wanted to use Wordpress and MediaWiki for an internal project. We had to drudge through THEIR code and the error logs to find all the functions that conflicted with ones in our own code library.

Now, if we had this namespaces implementation, we could namespace all of our internal code with a namespace of dealnews and ideally those projects would namespace their projects. This way there would be no conflicts in the global scope.

Now, in Phorum, we did it the hard way and have hundreds of phorum_* functions. It makes for some really bad reading code with those huge function names.

I guess what this comes down to is that these namespaces are better for project wide things and not so good at smaller parts. I agree that I would not want to work with 50 different namespaces with this solution. But, I would never work with 50 different namespaces as I don't find that type of organization useful.

--

Brian Moon
Senior Developer