Because I just want those names directly available in one part of my application - the one which uses a lot of SQL. As far as I see this is not

If you want names to be part of global space - don't use namespaces. Namespaces are meant to take names OUT of global space.

All other languages I know that have namespaces (Java, python, C++) allow programmers to import other namespaces locally - usually for a single file.

Both Java and Python have much more rigid relations to files than PHP does - in Java, class is file, more or less, and package is directory, while in Python module is file and package is directory. Also, Java is a compiled language - meaning you have much more information in compile time than with PHP - all classes you use are to be known compile-time.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]