Hey all,

On 9/17/07, Stanislav Malyshev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So while I think making list and voting is great, I think we shouldn't
> replace good old per-case consideration and discussion with arithmetics.
> If we have clear winners and losers, it's fine, but in between we still
> need to hear the case.

I couldn't agree with this more. The vote was very helpful in
narrowing the field of debate: Now there's only three things to be
discussed and work can start on making ready the majority of 5.3.
However, there were a lot of no-votes on those topics due to lack of
information and further discussion would lead to a more informed
decision. There probably should be a separate round of voting on just
those three issues after some discussion.

Speaking in particular about the GC :-), I know there hasn't been
widespread review of it (only those who have downloaded my working
copy from a separate repository) and I certainly don't think everyone
who voted on it have actually played around with it.

My personal opinion is that it is ready for 5.3 and should be put into
5.3. It is stable, end-users will not be affected unless they want to
use it, extension writers should not even be affected, there is no
performance degradation and it would help make PHP a much more
credible language to use for anything that runs for longer than a web
script.

I've been bumping the prerequisite macro patch thread for so long to
no avail that it's starting to get embarrassing. Could people take
another look at it and tell me whether a vote between the two versions
of it would now be appropriate?

David