I think you're confusing parsing for grokking. Namespace support is
merely candy coating for naming conventions. Namespaces have the same

Yes, and PHP is merely a candy coating for shoving electrons around silicon chips. Makes as much sense. Yes, namespaces deal with naming. No, namespace in not just a naming convention - it is also the mechanics allowing to use these conventions consistently and conveniently.

collision problems that class naming and function naming have. Only

Only if you insist on *not* using the namespaces to solve collision problems. For the 1001th time - you can not expect to put all names into global space and have the language by some magic to sort it out and go both ways. One name can mean only one thing, namespaces or not. Namespaces just allow you more convenient rules for defining what name means what thing.

confined to the name of the namespace itself. This is identical to using
a prefix when naming your classes or functions. The only thing

Only if you had auto-prefixing and aliasing with underscore prefixes. If you had, that would be exactly namespaces with _ as separator. I like :: better.

namespaces bring to the table beyond that, is the ability to shorthand
the class names within the namespace... as I said candy coating. If

You can say it as many times as you like, it doesn't make it true. It is the capability that enables one to simplify the code by avoiding spelling out the full name every time.

everyone had named their classes and functions with appropriate prefixes
then this would be a non-issue. Seriously, how were so many people so

As I said, namespaces is not only names, so it is not true.

Hope this clears up your confusion, although I doubt you were
particularly confused.

I wasn't confused, I was surprised that after all the explanations people still make such strange claims which have nothing to do with what namespaces really are.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]